[Papyrus-L] Papyrus 7.0.17 - problem inputting new references

Andrew Wilson andrew.wilson at arch.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 18 17:14:52 EDT 2012

Dear all

thanks again for all your suggestions - a suggestion off-list from M. W.
Poirier of Quebec has fixed it - I reinstalled the Papyrus program
files. Going back through the list archive, I see that this was how Tom
Gill fixed the same problem when he had it - reinstallation of the
program files, rather than reindexing the database.

Apologies for troubling you with a problem that has been fixed once
before on this list - but at least it was good to see that there is
still a community of diehards out there, ready to pitch in with advice,

Many thanks
best wishes
Andrew

On 18/05/2012 17:06, Raisa Deber wrote:

> I don't think it is a Papyrus limit, since the manual says "Program

> Limits

> The total number of references, abstracts, comments and notecards in

> your database cannot

> exceed 2 million (approximately- the exact number depends on the

> actual length of your

> comments and abstracts).

> No individual field within a reference or notecard can exceed 8,000

> characters. However, you

> may attach an unlimited number of notecards to each reference."

> So it does look like a systems issue rather than a DOS issue per se,

> since 100,000 is still considerably less than 2 million, even if each

> does have abstracts and comments and notecards.

> Sorry can't help more, since I don't use Windows and don't know if

> there are some settings that can be tweaked to give you more disk

> space. I'm a worse die-hard than you - I'm clinging to my PowerPc Mac

> so I can keep using Papyrus (right now, trying to get my case studies

> book off to the publisher). My current annoyance is the refusal to

> allow commas in corporate authors :)

> Raisa Deber

> On May 18, 2012, at 11:53 AM, Michael Logies wrote:

>> At 18.05.2012 16:11 Andrew Wilson wrote:

>>> John Fennick's suggestion is interesting, if dispiriting. I hope I don't

>>> have to move to Windows 7,

>> If it is a limitation of Papyrus (DOS, 16 bit-software), how a newer

>> Windows should help? Delete some references (after a backup) and try

>> whether adding some will work again. Perhaps you are really hitting a

>> wall here and have to split your database.

>> Regards

>> M.

>> --

>> Michael Logies, Zahnarzt, Große Straße 28, D-49134 Wallenhorst,

>> PGP/GPG, öffentlicher Schüssel: http://www.logies.de/Michael.Logies.asc

> Raisa Deber, PhD

> Professor, Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation

> University of Toronto

> Director, CIHR Team in Community Care and Health Human Resources

> (www.teamgrant.ca <http://www.teamgrant.ca>)

> Health Sciences Building

> 155 College Street Suite 425

> Toronto, ON M5T 3M6

> phone: (416) 978-8366

> fax: (416) 978-7350

> e-mail: raisa.deber at utoronto.ca <mailto:raisa.deber at utoronto.ca>

Andrew Wilson
Professor of the Archaeology of the Roman Empire
Institute of Archaeology
36 Beaumont St
Oxford
OX1 2PG