[Papyrus-L] Papyrus 7.0.17 - problem inputting new references

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Fri May 18 12:06:24 EDT 2012

I don't think it is a Papyrus limit, since the manual says "Program
Limits
The total number of references, abstracts, comments and notecards in
your database cannot
exceed 2 million (approximately- the exact number depends on the
actual length of your
comments and abstracts).
No individual field within a reference or notecard can exceed 8,000
characters. However, you
may attach an unlimited number of notecards to each reference."

So it does look like a systems issue rather than a DOS issue per se,
since 100,000 is still considerably less than 2 million, even if each
does have abstracts and comments and notecards.
Sorry can't help more, since I don't use Windows and don't know if
there are some settings that can be tweaked to give you more disk
space. I'm a worse die-hard than you - I'm clinging to my PowerPc
Mac so I can keep using Papyrus (right now, trying to get my case
studies book off to the publisher). My current annoyance is the
refusal to allow commas in corporate authors :)
Raisa Deber

On May 18, 2012, at 11:53 AM, Michael Logies wrote:

> At 18.05.2012 16:11 Andrew Wilson wrote:

>> John Fennick's suggestion is interesting, if dispiriting. I hope I

>> don't

>> have to move to Windows 7,

> If it is a limitation of Papyrus (DOS, 16 bit-software), how a

> newer Windows should help? Delete some references (after a backup)

> and try whether adding some will work again. Perhaps you are really

> hitting a wall here and have to split your database.

> Regards

> M.

> --

> Michael Logies, Zahnarzt, Große Straße 28, D-49134 Wallenhorst,

> Dentalbranche),

> PGP/GPG, öffentlicher Schüssel: http://www.logies.de/

> Michael.Logies.asc

Raisa Deber, PhD
Professor, Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation
University of Toronto
Director, CIHR Team in Community Care and Health Human Resources
(www.teamgrant.ca)
Health Sciences Building
155 College Street Suite 425
Toronto, ON M5T 3M6