[Papyrus-L] Migration from Papyrus

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Apr 12 23:20:18 EDT 2007

At 02:42 AM 12/04/2007, Rodgers, John R. wrote:

> boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C77C69.35C5DE45"

>I've migrated to Endnote very reluctantly. I did it to interface with

>co-authors who use it, and because I needed to know it well enough to

>teach using it to graduate students.

> You can use keywords but they do not have the wonderful feature of

> Papyrus that they are indexed separately, and can be edited as universal

> keywords. Endnote has a "fill-in" feature that will search its own

> working list for keywords that start with the same letters, but you

> cannot do extremely valuable tasks such as merging keywords, or perform a

> global delete.

> Endnote is very slow in searching compared to Papyrus (probably

> because it doesn't index) and its Boolean capabilities are crude at best

> and sometimes actually fail inexplicably.

> What really should happen in all this is that someone should take

> David's basic engine and covert it to Windows or Java. I suspect his

> indexing feature is the genius kernel that drives most of we lose when we

> go to another package, and all we gain are those necessary cosmetic

> touches. I'd go back to Papyrus in a flash. I do understand that the

> market forces are difficult.

Yes we too reluctantly had to move, what with OS "upgrades" and a stern
insistence that the rest of my institution was using EndNote. Even so, I
do have some users here who use other than EndNote, notably Reference
manager. Each seems to have strengths and weaknesses.

I gently suggested open sourcing Papyrus quite some time ago because that
would have opened it to possibly wider use - platforms like Java, Windows
or Linux (read MAC OS-X as well) but I comprehend Dave's reluctance to do so.

Denis