[Papyrus-L] Migration from Papyrus

Rodgers, John R. jrodgers at bcm.tmc.edu
Wed Apr 11 14:42:51 EDT 2007

I've migrated to Endnote very reluctantly. I did it to interface with co-authors who use it, and because I needed to know it well enough to teach using it to graduate students.
You can use keywords but they do not have the wonderful feature of Papyrus that they are indexed separately, and can be edited as universal keywords. Endnote has a "fill-in" feature that will search its own working list for keywords that start with the same letters, but you cannot do extremely
valuable tasks such as merging keywords, or perform a global delete.

Endnote is very slow in searching compared to Papyrus (probably because it doesn't index) and its Boolean capabilities are crude at best and sometimes actually fail inexplicably.

What really should happen in all this is that someone should take David's basic engine and covert it to Windows or Java. I suspect his indexing feature is the genius kernel that drives most of we lose when we go to another package, and all we gain are those necessary cosmetic touches. I'd go
back to Papyrus in a flash. I do understand that the market forces are difficult.

John R. Rodgers, Ph.D.
Department of Immunology
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, Texas 77030