[Papyrus-L] Filter

Dave Goldman, Research Software Design dave at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com
Sat Oct 28 12:31:45 EDT 2006

Bill Lindsay wrote:

>I have been seeking a solution to a similar problem: moving a large
>database from an older computer with Windows 98 to a newer one with
>Windows XP. I tried e-mailing the large INDX.BIB file from the old
>to the new computer, and it was apparently received OK with the full
>file size. But when I try to access it with the recent Papyrus
>download on the new computer, Papyrus does not seem to recognize
>that it is there in the PAP folder. (All the other, smaller files
>were moved earlier via floppy disks to the PAP  folder in the new
>machine.)

First, I'm a little surprised that you would have a database in which
the REF.BIB file does fit on a floppy disk but the INDX.BIB file does
not. Are you positive about that?

Second, e-mailing INDX.BIB as you have done should work fine.
Although I suppose that it is possible that some setting in your
e-mail software, on one end or the other, might have somehow
compressed or encoded the file -- but then the file sizes should not
match exactly.

Third, a different approach toward moving a Papyrus from one computer
to another would be to go to the Utilities option in Papyrus and
choose "Create Back-up Files". This will produce a set of *.BB files,
each of them small enough to fit onto a floppy disk. Bring them to
the new computer, and then run "Restore From Back-up Files" to
rebuild the original database.

--
    Dave Goldman (dave at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com)

    Research Software Design            The PAPYRUS Bibliography System
    617 SW Hume Street
    Portland OR 97219-4458 (U.S.A.)     fax 503-452-8920

    Technical Support: support at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com
      Other Questions: info at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com
                  Web: http://www.ResearchSoftwareDesign.com/