[Papyrus-L] Importing information into Papyrus

John Rodgers jrodgers at bcm.tmc.edu
Sat Oct 15 23:46:28 EDT 2005

Dear Ann,
    what system are you using?  XP?  and what word processor? Word?

I think it was Raisa who was able to get pasting to work in ways that I
haven't been able to achieve.  In my hands, it appears that XP allows
certain programs (Word, and WordPerfect) to keep control over files
(c:\pap\cited.txt in your case) if they have opened them.  They won't let
other programs write to them.  Not sure why you can't go the other
direction, however.
     This is what I do:
for pasting FROM papyrus,   I have a macro which opens a NEW word
processing document,  imports the cited.txt, copies it all to the Windows
clipboard, then closes new document.  This returns it to the original
document.  Then it pastes into that document.  I believe Raisa has been
able to do Import File, and I think I got that to work to.

For going in the other direction, you can't let your OPEN word processing
document touch the cited.txt file or it will "take ownership" (my term for
what seems to be happening).  So:
         1. block and copy what you want to paste to Papyrus
           2.  open a New document
         3. past it there
         4. save the file AS cited.txt AS a text document
         5. close cited.txt

you can put this into a macro too.

then when you go to Papyrus just use F4 as usual.

I think Raisa's Import works because the "parent" document doesn't actually
open the file it is importing.
   -john rodgers

John R. Rodgers, PhD
Department of Immunology
Room M929
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza
Houston, Texas 770303
phone: 713-798-3903
fax: 713-798-3700
email: jrodgers at bcm.tmc.edu

~ Our knowledge is a torch of smoky pine       ~
~ That lights the pathway but one step ahead  ~
  ~                 George Santayana "O World"     ~
~ ...the future can offer you infinite joy              ~
~   and merriment.                                          ~
~   Experiment,  and you'll see...               ~
~               Cole Porter "Experiment"          ~