[Papyrus-L] Importing information into Papyrus

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Sun Oct 16 00:46:25 EDT 2005

On Oct 15, 2005, at 11:46 PM, John Rodgers wrote:

> Dear Ann,
>    what system are you using?  XP?  and what word processor? Word?
Hi, Ann and John - and any lurkers.
I'm not using XP (I'm still on Windows 2000) so can't testify about
what happens.  I'm also largely using Word Perfect whenever I can,
although most of my collaborators are using Word.  Word works with
Papyrus as long as you save it as Word 6/95.  At home, I'm using a
Mac, and Papyrus for Mac works fine with newer Word files.
(MacLinkPlus also translates over the Word Perfect, so I'm golden!)
Back to the wonderful world of Windows.  I don't know if it is an XP
problem - I suspect it is a Word one.
In general, two programs can't play nicely with the same file.  This
we know - you need to close files before you can text extract, for
example.  But I don't let Word open cited.txt at all - ever. It may
keep ownership, but I suspect it also embeds formats!  And that may
be the problem.
Whenever I need to open it from outside Papyrus (e.g., to paste into
an email), I always use Notepad, and then save as cited.txt.  Notepad
seems to leave it as plain text.  So for pasting into Papyrus, I open
a Notepad file, paste the text, and then save as cited.txt.
Similarly, to paste from Papyrus, if you do an "insert file" from
within your word processor, the file you are inserting isn't opened
by the word processor, so no format codes get inserted, and things
don't foul up.  (Mind you, Word does insist on changing the format of
the surrounding text when I insert, but life isn't perfect.  And that
also increases my suspicion about format codes being the problem.)

> I think it was Raisa who was able to get pasting to work in ways
> that I haven't been able to achieve.  In my hands, it appears that
> XP allows certain programs (Word, and WordPerfect) to keep control
> over files (c:\pap\cited.txt in your case) if they have opened them.
That's the key.  Do not let them open them!
> They won't let other programs write to them.
Or, they have changed the format, so other programs can't?  (Dave
probably knows.)
>   Not sure why you can't go the other direction, however.
>     This is what I do:
> for pasting FROM papyrus,   I have a macro which opens a NEW word
> processing document,  imports the cited.txt, copies it all to the
> Windows clipboard, then closes new document.  This returns it to
> the original document.  Then it pastes into that document.  I
> believe Raisa has been able to do Import File, and I think I got
> that to work to.

This should work, but you don't need to get that elaborate.  The one
cited.txt file works fine as long as you don't let the word
processors get their hands on it.

> For going in the other direction, you can't let your OPEN word
> processing document touch the cited.txt file or it will "take
> ownership" (my term for what seems to be happening).  So:
>         1. block and copy what you want to paste to Papyrus
>           2.  open a New document
>         3. past it there
>         4. save the file AS cited.txt AS a text document
>         5. close cited.txt
Yes, basically another way of accomplishing the same thing. But
Notepad will do the same thing.

> you can put this into a macro too.
>
> then when you go to Papyrus just use F4 as usual.
>

> I think Raisa's Import works because the "parent" document doesn't
> actually open the file it is importing.
I think you're right.  Let me know if this works.
Raisa

e-mail:  raisa.deber at utoronto.ca