[Papyrus-L] difficulty in re-installing papyrus

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jul 31 09:39:43 EDT 2004

Dear Joseph,

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Joseph Cain wrote:

> I recently "up"graded my system from Windows ME to Windows XP so downloaded
> the files for installing version 7017 instead of going through the long
> upgrade sequence I did originally. One problem is that when I view the pif
> file it has a reference to c:\pap instead of the directory
> c:\applications\pap where I installed it.
>
> How to change this to be able to execute?

Not sure about WinXP but previous experience with W9x and Win NT4 suggests
that the pif file, if indeed you need one, should be able to have its
properties adjusted, such as application path, by right-clicking on it.
Mind you, it's a long while since I had to do that so you may need to take
this with a grain of salt until more XP-aware advice comes along!

 > Do I
need to re-install again to put it in a c:\pap directory?
I had > installed twice, and the second time the menu defaulted to
> c:\applic~1\pap  where it went the first time.

You should be able to create a directory, "pap" in the C drive and install
it there, I would have thought.   After all, a beauty of Papyrus is its
DOS heritage and thus no messy dll files with which to become embroiled.
It should thus just be a case of using the Papyrus installer to do the
work rather than going through the Windows installer.  Again the caveat
is that I don't really know XP at that level so it might be a case of
having to get programmes installed via the Win installer or not at all.

> I looked at the backup copy of the old C:drive (saved before wiping C for
> installing Windows XP) and there is no pap.pif file.

Sounds about right for Me.   If noone comes to your "rescue" before Monday
(I'm in Perth, Western Australia, so it's Saturday night as I'm writing
this and I don't get back the office 'til Monday morning) I'll attempt to
install Papyrus on a Win2000 system - they should be similar in terms of
programme installation - and report back to the list.   But I think there
are a few WinXP users who are still active on this list and who may
respond before that.

You might want to check the Papyrus archives - or messages in your own
mailbox relating to Papyrus - because I recall some people had issues with
the later Office programmes and the Windows clipboard, after undergoing a
similar upgrade to yours.   Prereading those may save you some time :-)

Cheers, Denis