[Papyrus-L] Using Papyrus in a Windows 2000 network

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Wed Jul 7 14:11:47 EDT 2004

At 11:31 AM 7/7/2004 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi there,
>we're using Papyrus in a network environment, using a shared folder in a
>Windows 2000 Server domain and Windows 2000 Professional clients. We have
>noticed that two different users trying to access at the same time the Papyrus
>shared files results in an unexpected crash of one of their computers. Time
>ago we used Windows 98 workstations (with the same Windows 2000 Server) and
>that problem was controlled by Papyrus, which prompted an error message about
>impossible files write protection and changing itself to readonly mode. Does
>anyone know what to do or how to configure Papyrus launching to check write
>protection under Windows 2000?
>Comments welcome. Thanks for advance.

We took the coward's way out - we also use one database for a research
group, but just put the most recent *.bb files in the shared folder, and
ask everyone to download and update the personal copy on their own machine
before starting work.  Only one workstation modifies the data base; they
then create backup files and place the most recent version on the shared
folder on the server.  Anyone wanting to modify the database sends the
information to the Papyrus custodian. That way, no problems with multiple
accesses, but everyone has the updated database.
This is relatively low tech, but it has the advantage of working.
Best regards
Raisa Deber

>Regards,
>Joan Miquel Vigo
>Fundació Institut Català de Farmacologia

Raisa B. Deber, PhD
Professor
Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, 2nd Floor
12 Queen's Park Crescent West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8
telephone: (416) 978-8366
fax:  (416) 978-7350
e-mail:  raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Director: M-THAC (From Medicare To Home And Community) Research
Unit.  www.m-thac.org