[Papyrus-L] more on XP - troubleshooting clipboard/Word - experiments with NotePad

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 19 10:30:50 EST 2004

Hello again, John!

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, John Rodgers wrote:

> Denis,
>     Under XP I tried making a file in NotePad, saving it as a text file
> as  c:\test.txt.

Me too.

> Then I imported it into Word as if it were a papyrus citation.
>    This works fine the first time through.

Assume you are using Word's Insert, File... process to do the insert,
correct?   This works for me and I can even have NotePad open all the
while if I wish!

> Now- try to update and save the NotePad file- you can't save it, but you
> get an error message telling you so.  Papyrus simply doesn't know about the
> error message.

Here is where we diverge... my Win NT4 allows me to do any amount of
editing / appending / whatever to the NotePad document, to the extent of
having NotePad and Word open simultaneously and without having to do any
intermediate saves in Word.

> If I SAVE the Word file, NotePad can go forward.

As above, I do not need to save the Word document.

>  This replicates the
whole
> shebang,  I think.  Word, probably through its UNDO function, is keeping
> rights to a document until it is saved.  UNDO is a pretty useful function,
> so I wouldn't want to turn it off while editing.

Well, oddly enough I continue to be offered the undo functionality so I
guess our Words have the same settings in that regard.

Sorry to flog a dead equine, especially as you have a solution!   Just
that this may help tweak someone's ideas as to where to look in XP if this
is in fact an XP-thing.   I don't have any XP boxes to try it out.

Anyway, glad you got it licked.
Cheers,
Denis

  The