[Papyrus-L] more on XP - troubleshooting clipboard/Word - experiments with NotePad

John Rodgers jrodgers at bcm.tmc.edu
Mon Jan 19 10:17:34 EST 2004

Denis,
    Under XP I tried making a file in NotePad, saving it as a text file
as  c:\test.txt.
Then I imported it into Word as if it were a papyrus citation.
   This works fine the first time through.
Now- try to update and save the NotePad file- you can't save it, but you
get an error message telling you so.  Papyrus simply doesn't know about the
error message.

If I SAVE the Word file, NotePad can go forward.  This replicates the whole
shebang,  I think.  Word, probably through its UNDO function, is keeping
rights to a document until it is saved.  UNDO is a pretty useful function,
so I wouldn't want to turn it off while editing.  The simple device of
saving your Word document after a citation paste solves the problem (right
now at least! :))
-john