[Papyrus-L] Papyrus under Partition Magic/Commander etc?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 5 21:17:56 EST 2003

Discussion regards Papyrus and XP <snipped>

>Now, has anyone figured out what the heck Word has done to its file format
>to foul up Papyrus.  A few of my students have new machines, which comes
>with the new version of Word.  Even a one line test file, once processed
>by text extract, comes out as gibberish.

<snip>

Just out of interest, has anyone on this list tried using OpenOffice or
StarOffice instead or in addition, saving their files as Word 97
format?   I find OO will peacefully co-exist with (an earlier version of)
MS Office and I often use OO to rectify Word's and other Office prog's
corruptions.  Just yesterday a colleague sent an Excel spreadsheet that
she'd created and then it started crashing her Excel.   Ran it through OO,
saved as Excel format... bingo, problem solved.   Go figure.

There was a rumour that latest Office products used an XML file format but
knowing Mr Gates' people, it is probably an "extended" XML set.  OO (and
SO) natively save their files in zipped XML or so I believe.

Hope this helps,
Denis (who avoids anything higher than Win NT4 like the plague)