[Papyrus-L] Papyrus under Partition Magic/Commander etc?

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Sat Nov 8 13:04:42 EST 2003

At 10:17 AM 11/6/2003 +0800, you wrote:

>Discussion regards Papyrus and XP <snipped>
>
>>Now, has anyone figured out what the heck Word has done to its file
>>format to foul up Papyrus.  A few of my students have new machines, which
>>comes with the new version of Word.  Even a one line test file, once
>>processed by text extract, comes out as gibberish.
>
><snip>
>
>Just out of interest, has anyone on this list tried using OpenOffice or
>StarOffice instead or in addition, saving their files as Word 97
>format?   I find OO will peacefully co-exist with (an earlier version of)
>MS Office and I often use OO to rectify Word's and other Office prog's
>corruptions.  Just yesterday a colleague sent an Excel spreadsheet that
>she'd created and then it started crashing her Excel.   Ran it through OO,
>saved as Excel format... bingo, problem solved.   Go figure.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, the issue is files being sent to
me by collaborators (often with tables or graphs) so I can't really tell
them what systems to use.  If I can, I open them in WordPerfect and use
reveal codes to get rid of some of the stranger glitches, but it can't
always read some of these new Word formats either.  So I guess I'm asking
how to ask my collaborators to save files so that they are useable by
Papyrus.  Which the new RTF isn't - they've done something strange to it as
well.

But thanks anyhow.
Raisa