[Papyrus-L] Papyrus under Partition Magic/Commander etc?

Raisa Deber raisa.deber at utoronto.ca
Wed Nov 5 17:47:42 EST 2003

At 01:15 PM 11/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:

>Why not use the Papyrus Reference Utility (I downloade this from RSD's web
>page many yrs ago)
>to bypass the difficulties (in NT or XP) in using the clip board.
>Just open this program when you open Papyrus and you can then cite and
>paste into a word document.

No need to get even this fancy.  Go to Preferences.  Go to OS2/NT
Clipboard.  Tell Papyrus to use a file instead of the clipboard (I use
Cited.Txt).  Then you can easily insert the file.  No need to dual boot (I
used to use Partition Manager).  You can easily cut and paste into word, or
word perfect, or indeed into other programs (such as mail).  I still
haven't figured out how to cut and paste from word to papyrus, but we won't
go there, will we.

Now, has anyone figured out what the heck Word has done to its file format
to foul up Papyrus.  A few of my students have new machines, which comes
with the new version of Word.  Even a one line test file, once processed by
text extract, comes out as gibberish.  Saving as RTF did not help.  So,
what formats do we need to save files to in order to make Papyrus happy?
(I'm still on Windows 2000 and Word 2000, although I far prefer
WordPerfect.  I'm indexing a book right now, and you would not BELIEVE how
a momentary excursion into word caused by a delusional belief that I could
actually use my Palm Pilot for indexing - quickly revealed as delusional
when I bumped up against its file size limitation - fouled things up -
including putting table on-off markings EVERYWHERE!!  I'm having to
manually cut and paste back into Word Perfect.)

Raisa Deber

>At 11:03 AM 11/5/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>>Message text written by INTERNET:papyrus-l at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com
>> >Dear Papyrus community,
>>     Has anyone tried using a partitioning program such as Partition Magic
>>or Partition Commander to try to operate Papyrus?  It seems to me the only
>>serious limitation to using Papyrus under Windows XP is the file-sharing
>>problem when using the Clipboard.  But running lower versions of Windows on
>>new machines means loss of functionality, such as access to USB ports, etc.
>>One solution might be to run two versions of Windows simultaneously.  I've
>>not tried these partitioning programs, but they seem to promise file
>>sharing etc between partitions.
>>
>>    -John Rodgers<
>>
>>John:
>>
>>Yes, I ran into this problem last year when I bought a new computer running
>>XP. Papyrus runs perfectly well under XP with the exception of the vital
>>function you mentioned. I had been reading submissions to this discussion
>>group about difficulties with importation of Papyrus data into the various
>>Windows-compatible programs. I have almost 13,000 references entered in
>>Papyrus and didn't want to risk trying to import them. But the ability to
>>do a search in Papyrus and write citations to the Windows clipboard is very
>>important. I ended up buying a copy of Partition Magic and a copy of
>>Windows 98. I installed Win98, Papyrus, and my word-processing program in
>>a small partition on my hard drive (which XP sees as a separate drive).
>>There is another very small partition (=drive) that carries a program (Boot
>>Magic) allowing choice of booting up Win98 or XP upon starting (or
>>restarting) the computer.
>>
>>Whenever I enter references into Papyrus, I use the XP drive, then copy the
>>whole Pap file onto the Win98 drive (which overwrites the Pap already
>>there). When I want to do a search and write to the clipboard, I quit XP
>>and reboot, choosing the Win98 drive. After writing to the clipboard in
>>Win98, I write the clipboard contents to a new file in my word-processing
>>program, reboot (again) into XP, and copy that file from the Win98 drive
>>onto the XP drive (drag and drop). All this rebooting is a nuisance, but it
>>sure beats retyping all those references.
>>
>>Larry Roberts

>*******************************************************************************************
>Dr. Lisa
>Campbell                                                        office:
>979-845-5706
>Associate Professor of Oceanography and Biology         lab:    979-862-7664
>mail:   Department of
>Oceanography                              FAX:    979-845-6331
>         3146 TAMU
>         Texas A&M University
>         College Station, TX 77843-3146
>         http://oceanography.tamu.edu

Raisa B. Deber, PhD
Professor
Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, 2nd Floor
12 Queen's Park Crescent West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8