Dual boot, was: Re: [Papyrus-L] Re: Papyrus-L digest, Vol 1 #84 - 1 msg

Michael Logies logies at t-online.de
Wed Jan 15 16:31:51 EST 2003

At 10:06 15.01.2003 -0600, David L Haviland wrote:

>When the topic turned to dual boot systems of using Win98SE and XP, a big
>red flag went off in my brain.   I could be wrong but I remember reading in
>my 2.5" XP "How-To" book that dual partions like this can only be done if
>you are using FAT32.   By default, XP would rather use NTFS which I recall
>reading is NOT compatible with dual boot partitions and as such Win98SE
>won't operate.

That`s wrong. Your old FAT32-partiton will not be touched. The only thing
that is changed by Win XP is introducing a boot menu on the FAT32
partition. The new partition with Win XP may use NTFS.

If one later decides to convert the old FAT32 partition to NTFS (that works
without loosing data!), then Win98 will not work any more (been there, done
that).

Partition magic is not needed when adding a separate harddisk as a new
partition, which is the simplest and safest way to get a new one.

Regards

M.