[Papyrus-L] WP bug relevant to papyrus

Paul A. Deck pdeck at vt.edu
Wed Jul 31 17:15:56 EDT 2002

Two items:

In the process of preparing a manuscript, I generated an .LST file and
tried to open it in Word Perfect (6.0a for Windows, but same problem with
WP9).  The LST file had 114 references (the correct number), but WP would
only read in 82 of them.  After about 5 minutes I realized that I used a
combination of a left curly bracket { and one of the extended ascii
characters (the one in the 4th column of the 7th row of the F10 display) as
part of my article title (I needed a Greek "eta").  This particular
combination of ascii characters apparently chokes the import converter in
WP.  The extended character by itself was okay, but I changed it anyway,
and now all 114 references will read in to WP.  So if you have LST files
won't read properly into WP, check the offending entry for stray ascii
characters.

If you use "hidden text" in WP, you have to be careful not to allow the
<Hidden> code get between your two % symbols.  That will choke Papyrus.

You might be wondering why I use WP6.0a.  It's a great old version (vintage
1994), fast as greased lightning on a Pentium III, but most importantly it
doesn't ruin my graphics (EPS) files by converting them into some nonsense
proprietary graphics format.

Paul A. Deck
Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry 0212