[Papyrus-L] Moving from Papyrus to a Windows-based Bibliographic Reference Manager

Martin Evans martin.evans at utoronto.ca
Thu Aug 1 10:34:07 EDT 2002

hi

i'd like to see your instructions (and underlying code) for Word.

I could never get a working macro for word, so our stuff for biblioscape is
all in wordperfect

and thanks for the "plug"

At 12:41 PM 8/1/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>--On 31 July 2002 12:59 -0500 "Barden, Howard (MED, LUNAR)"
><Howard.Barden at med.ge.com> wrote:
>
>>I currently have over 13,000 references in Papyrus, but am thinking of
>>moving to a Window's-based platform. I am wondering if anyone has had
>>problems in moving Papyrus references to one of the popular
>>Window's-based programs such as Reference Manager?  Is this move
>>possible, difficult, easy, etc. Thanks for your input.
>
>When development of a Windows version was finally knocked on the head last
>year we decided to move our site to EndNote for both PCs and Macs. It has
>proved popular with staff and students.
>
>Moving references is not difficult.  I've written detailed instructions
>for our staff and students to move from DOS Papyrus 7.16c to EndNote
>5.0.2, via a text editor (I've used Word).  The method improves on the
>instructions available on the RSD and EndNote sites:
>- All fields and notecards for all reference types are included.
>- Most non-English, Western-European characters are preserved.
>- Markup for italicisation etc within a field is retained (but is not
>converted into eg italics)
>It's been successfully road tested by a couple of research students here,
>so I'd be happy to send it to Dave, if he wants to post it on the site.
>
>One thing you should be aware of if you have used the Papyrus reference
>number in filing your hard copies (which has been advised against on
>numerous occasions): these will not be convereted into the new reference
>numbers in any other programmes, but the method described above does
>include them as labels so that you can continue to refer to them for
>already entered references.  This also has an impact on any documents
>you're currently writing.
>
>You should have a look at other programmes too - it depends what your
>needs are.
>
>Hugh Gunz and Martin Evans at Toronto has done some good work getting
>references into Biblioscape <www.biblioscape.com>, which you might want to
>look at.  His instructions are brief and work very easily.  I'm trying to
>build on that and non-English characters at present for a different
>project, but can't say when it'll bear fruit.
>
>Duncan

>Duncan Branley  duncan at gold.ac.uk
>  Applications Officer, Information Services
>    Goldsmiths' College, University of London
>      New Cross, LONDON  SE14 6NW
>Tel: +44 (0)20 7919 7708  Fax: +44 (0)20 7919 7556

Martin G.
Evans
Rotman School of Management,                          Professor Emeritus of
Organizational Behaviour            University of Toronto
                                                                 105 St
George Street Toronto  M5S 3E6
                                                                 Ontario Canada
617-876-3980