[Papyrus-L] lost references

Dave Goldman, Research Software Design dave at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com
Thu Jun 6 14:30:50 EDT 2002

Bob Blaisdell wrote:

>I have really made a mess of things now. I tried copying the directory
>with all my references on to a disc *.bib.  The disc had other files on
>it so was pretty full.  When I tried copying them to my new computer
>only about 3 files were copied and the drive started making repetitive
>noises over and over...  I tried ending the task and eventually shut the
>computer down. After I restarted the computer and tried to launch
>papyrus I got the message:  ERROR ENCOUNTED WHILE TRING TO READ FROM
>FILE #12 hit any key to exit.  Then, "return code 1" comes up and the
>program closes.

Sounds like a problem with that particular diskette, or possibly a slight
misalignment of one of the diskette drives involved.

The error messages simply mean that you did not successfully copy the full
set of *.BIB files to the new computer.

Given that you shut down your computer in the middle of a file-copying
operation, I would suggest that you use a disk repair utility to make sure
that the directory structures on your hard drive are all correct.

>I tried reinstalling papyrus and that didn't help.  Then after
>re-reading instruction for installing under windows 2000 I realized I
>had let papyrus make changes to AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONIG.SYS files -
>instead of "say bypass these changes" as instructed.

No problem here. The changes to AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS are actually
unnecessary under Windows (although our ancient installer software doesn't
know this); the changes are also harmless. We recommend bypassing the
changes because on some Windows 2000 systems making the changes produces an
error message that stops the installation.

-- Dave Goldman (dave at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com)

   Research Software Design            The PAPYRUS Bibliography System
   617 SW Hume Street
   Portland OR 97219-4458 (U.S.A.)     503-796-1368, fax 503-452-8920

   Technical Support: support at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com
     Other Questions: info at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com
                 Web: http://www.ResearchSoftwareDesign.com/