[Papyrus-L] PAPYRUS, windows XP, Clare Imholtz, and Endnote.

Sampson,David sampson at CAHS.Colostate.edu
Wed Apr 17 12:24:11 EDT 2002

I echo Raisa's comments about Papyrus success under Windows 2000, use of Papyrus numbers for filing, and continuing reliance on Papyrus compared to other packages

Dave

____________________________
David A. Sampson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Food Science & Human Nutrition
Colorado State University
Ft. Collins, CO 80523
970/491-5234,  fax: -7252
sampson at cahs.colostate.edu

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Raisa Deber [mailto:raisa.deber at utoronto.ca]
Sent:	Wednesday, April 17, 2002 10:35 AM
To:	papyrus-l at ResearchSoftwareDesign.com
Subject:	Re: [Papyrus-L] PAPYRUS, windows XP, Clare Imholtz, and Endnote.

At 07:32 AM 4/17/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Oli,
>My understanding is that Papyrus doesn't run properly in Windows versions
>newer than 98 SE and there is no patch or fix available. (Someone correct
>me if I'm wrong...)

You're wrong - Papyrus runs just fine under Windows 2000.  Look at the
instructions on the Research Software Design web site.  We've installed it
on several machines with no problems at all.
Now, as for the Retriever, I'm not as sure.  Certainly, my attempt to
install it gave some strange results - Dave, any advice?
I still hope for some reprieve - we use our Papyrus numbers for the filing
system, so any package which doesn't store the Papyrus numbers as fixed
entities won't work for us.  So, I'm still sticking with Papyrus as
well.  But I'd like to get members of our extended research group there as
well, and it's hard to tell people to buy a package without some sense of
ongoing support.  So, what should I tell them?
(The biggest gap we've found, BTW, is the ability to support long file
names, and foreign characters.  So, if you could just get those features
in, ....)
Raisa Deber

>I also wasn't able to get my Papyrus database to convert into Endnote--all
>the notecards were missing, along with random other bits of information.
>So though I can't be of much help, you do have my sympathy.
>
>Patricia Szobar
>PSzobar at aol.com

Raisa B. Deber, PhD
Professor
Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, 2nd Floor
12 Queen's Park Crescent West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A8