[Papyrus-L] Important Papyrus news

Christopher GRAVES Graves at Cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Oct 12 11:28:51 EDT 2001

On 12 Oct 2001, at 6:02, Denis Brown wrote:

Dear Dave

Many years watching this situation.  Many sad users who have had to
move to other products but hoping for the opportunity to return to
Papyrus.

The answer has to be make the product open source and have RSD make
money from it just by selling it in a nice box on CD as one might buy
Linux from Red Hat.

Chris Graves

> Dave and fellow Papyrus users,
>
> I am saddened by the news that Research Software Design will no longer
> pursue a Windows-based product.  Someone on this list a while ago
> suggested that the programmers among us unite to help Dave in
> realising such a goal.
>
> Dave, correct me if I'm wrong but at the time you were unable to
> respond positively to this suggestion.  Given your current situation
> and what I assume has been a considerable expenditure of effort, would
> you consider revisiting this idea -- assuming members are still
> willing to become involved?  I am no "gun" programmer in terms of
> flash things but, given the time availability, I would be willing to
> make a contribution.
>
> An alternative platform could be Linux.  This does not have to mean
> that you open-source your product, but rather the gui interface or
> character interface.  Hopefully the basic "engine" logic is contained
> within a library which could be linked to the character / gui
> frontend.
>
> I have recently had to install several copies of my University's
> choice (EndNote) and while it's a fine product -- and has become much
> better over time -- I still prefer the "lean and hungry" nature of
> Papyrus!  Does anyone else feel this way -- that Papyrus is worth
> developing further?  Fingers crossed.
>
> Greetings from Australia!
> Denis

Dr Chris Graves
College Web Officer/Web Development Librarian
UWCM
Heath Park
Cardiff
CF14 4XN