[Papyrus-L] Important Papyrus news

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Oct 11 18:02:43 EDT 2001

Dave and fellow Papyrus users,

I am saddened by the news that Research Software Design will no longer
pursue a Windows-based product.  Someone on this list a while ago
suggested that the programmers among us unite to help Dave in realising
such a goal.

Dave, correct me if I'm wrong but at the time you were unable to respond
positively to this suggestion.  Given your current situation and what I
assume has been a considerable expenditure of effort, would you consider
revisiting this idea -- assuming members are still willing to become
involved?  I am no "gun" programmer in terms of flash things but, given
the time availability, I would be willing to make a contribution.

An alternative platform could be Linux.  This does not have to mean that
you open-source your product, but rather the gui interface or character
interface.  Hopefully the basic "engine" logic is contained within a
library which could be linked to the character / gui frontend.

I have recently had to install several copies of my University's choice
(EndNote) and while it's a fine product -- and has become much better over
time -- I still prefer the "lean and hungry" nature of Papyrus!  Does
anyone else feel this way -- that Papyrus is worth developing
further?  Fingers crossed.

Greetings from Australia!
Denis