[Papyrus-L] underline and italics in exports

Dave Goldman, Research Software Design dave at rsd.com
Wed May 30 01:46:17 EDT 2001

Randy Mitchell wrote:

>In Papyrus, I have consistently denoted italics (e.g., for species names)
>using a leading and trailing underscore (e.g., _Homo sapiens_ ).
>This has worked well for years. However, now that I'm sharing files with
>others who use endnote, this doesn't work so well -- even using Endnote's
>output format, the underlines are changed to curlybraces and U's (e.g.,
>{UHomo sapiens} ). Is there some neat and easy way to correct this?
>Otherwise I have to lose all the underlining by doing a search and delete
>for {U and for }.
>Similarly, I lose the carefully chosen special characters (from F10) in
>the translation -- they become empty squares.

What would EndNote do if your exported file contained underscores? Would it
accept them as is? I doubt it would interpret them to mean underline or
italic. Would you therefore prefer that the EndNote users receive the
underscores, or no formatting indication at all?

One option for dealing with this issue, as well as the special character
issue, might be to tell Papyrus to export the file not as a plain ASCII
file, but rather as a Word for Windows file. Then you can open the file in
Word, from which you can save as plain text -- this process will eliminate
the underscores and curly brace formatting indicators, and should also
convert the Extended ASCII characters used by Papyrus to the ANSI character
set used by Windows. (Whether EndNote can correctly import ANSI characters
is another matter.)

-- Dave Goldman (dave at rsd.com)              Research Software Design
   503/796-1368, fax 503-452-8920           617 SW Hume Street
   The PAPYRUS Bibliography System          Portland OR 97219-4458 (U.S.A.)

   Technical Support: support at rsd.com       Other Questions: info at rsd.com
                       WWW Site: http://www.rsd.com/