[Papyrus-L] Papyrus with LaTeX and BibTeX

Richard Fieldsend richard at openobjects.com
Fri May 25 06:08:20 EDT 2001

Dear All,
I first asked this question something like 2 or 3 years ago, but I've moved jobs twice since then, and though I know I
received a reply I have no idea what it was!

My query is about setting up Papyrus to operate with LaTeX and BibTeX. From what I can see the ideal way to do this
would be to do the following:-

1) Use Papyrus as the database of reference documents as normal (do what its good at)
2) Create LaTeX document with \cite{} references as normal, but use the reference number as the unique identifier in
the \cite. That is, if the document that you want to refer to is the first one in the Papyrus database the code would read
\cite{1}
3) Output the Papyrus database using the BibTeX format (which is approx.

{identifier,
 	author	=	{whatever},
 	title	=	{The Title},
	publisher	=	{McWhoever},
	year	=	{1999}
}
{next document}
)

This file can then be used with LaTeX and BibTeX to generate the bibliography and the document.

A possible enhancement would be to use the extract feature of the Papyrus system so that you only have to put the
appropriate references in the database, but this isn't absolutely required as my database is relatively small (only about
500 references), and with modern PC's its not too long to produce this information.

I've had a little bit of a play around with the formats, but not very successfully, so if anyone has any thoughts I'd be
grateful.

Regards

RichardF

ps. If I can get this to work then I would recommend the use of LaTeX and Papyrus to all of you who are stuck using
Word. Its _so_ nice to use a document preparation system that knows that speed and final outlook are more important
that a talking paperclip :)

Richard Fieldsend
Technical Support and Installation Consultant
Open Objects Software Limited
St. John's Innovation Centre
Cowley Road
Cambridge CB4 0WS