[Papyrus-L] Papyrus on the Palm

Peter Hains phains at proteome.org.au
Tue Mar 13 23:19:37 EST 2001

Dear all,

as per the request, I am writing to inform you all of my fun time playing
with Papyrus and my Palm. Well it was fun for me anyway, since I'm what
would commonly and unaffectionately be described as a "Techno nerd."

As I originally stated, I looked at J_File, ThinkDB, HanDBase and MobileDB.
All but J_File (that I could find) had import utilities for CSV data. I had
real problems getting the ThinkDB import utility to work reliably so it was
dropped early. I was able to easily import files into HanDBase and MobileDB
that ThinkDB couldn't cope with, or would work on one occasion and not another.

HanDBase was a clear winner from MobileDB, as both the Palm and desktop
apps are more powerful. On the whole, HanDBase was well ahead of the
opposition, in terms of power, price and function. It was very easy to set
it all up, so I now have my "list of refs to get" on my Palm (or you can
put the whole thin on as Valerie has done). A "new" version HanDBase Plus
also has desktop sync to make life even easier and it's still only
USD29.99. (link to the site
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/software.html?view=handbaseplus)

I haven't got the link to my "where are the journals found" database
working yet, but at the least I'll be able to launch this DB when inside my
"to get" DB and then scroll to the correct Journal name. I contacted
HanDBase tech support (very prompt and helpful) and I should be able to
realise the dream of clicking on the Journal name and then being taken
directly to the library call number. I'll survive if I can't do this.

As with Valerie I am already putting a whole stack of other data into
HanDBase, that I originally had in Quicksheet (spreadsheets on the Palm).
The only limitation is your imagination....

Good luck to you all,

Peter.

I'm afraid I don't have a clever saying to put here.

Peter Hains (PhD)                               		Ph. +61 2 9850 6216
Australian Proteome Analysis Facility   	Fax. +61 2 9850 6200
Level 4 Building F7B                    			E-mail. phains at proteome.org.au
Macquarie University, Sydney 2109		Web. www.proteome.org.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and
notify the
sender.  Views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender, and
are not necessarily the views of the Australian Proteome Analysis Facility.