[Papyrus-L] Windows version

penny leech (IACR-RES) penny.leech at bbsrc.ac.uk
Tue Mar 6 12:12:18 EST 2001

Could I add my voice to those calling for a Windows version of Papyrus?  I
have already migrated to EndNote under duress from our Computer Department,
and back again when I found I could not make EndNote do what I wanted. I
don't really want to have to go through that again.  EndNote may have
improved since the version I was using, but I doubt if it has changed enough
to make me like it.

I agree with the people who say they would like something simple (but
effective for most purposes) NOW rather than something that does absolutely
everything except make the coffee - er - ...later.

My own needs are very basic indeed.  I use Papyrus almost entirely as a
searchable card-index system, importing relevant references from whichever
bibliographic databases our Library is subscribing to at the time, and only
very occasionally using it to produce lists of citations for publications.
Therefore I would vote for good import[/export] and sort/search facilities,
with anything else being a bonus.

I know from experience that it is very difficult to do any serious
programming when you have people forever chasing you to explain/modify
something that exists already.  All I can say is, if you are already working
on it, IGNORE US.  If not, take on board the depth of feeling expressed,
start work on it at once and IGNORE US until you have something that any
number of us would be happy to test for you.

Penny.

Penny Leech
Soil Science Department
IACR Rothamsted