[Papyrus-L] Papyrus: request for a new feature

john rodgers jrodgers at bcm.tmc.edu
Tue Mar 6 10:05:04 EST 2001

I certainly concur regarding the need for a Windows version.  I've long
given up getting anyone else to use Papyrus- because the macophilic
students use Endnote etc.

But here is a new feature that I think will be much needed: a transparent
way to manage URL and pdf-type files.

1. URL:More and more I don't go to the library because what I want is
on-line. But I'd like to have an easy way of pasting URL information into
Papyrus so that with one click it is in, and with another single click
launch from Papyrus to the browser.

2. PDF: Downloading pdf (or sometimes, images from an HTML version of an
on-line document)is easy, but where do you store that file?  The file often
has a cryptic name- so the temptation is to rename it, but of course that
has its limitations.  And where to put it?  We're back to the old
file-drawer problem- where to file hard copies. It would be nice to file
pdf files with a papyrus number, or else have papyrus transparently handle
the filing of pdf files for quick retrieval.  It should be possible to find
a reference in Papyrus- push the pdf button, and have Papyrus either (1)
launch the file or (2) prompt to tell you where it is located on some
storage medium.
 - John Rodgers