[NHRC-user] Re: NHRC 10 Audio Question...

W8DRZ at aol.com W8DRZ at aol.com
Mon Aug 11 20:15:19 EDT 2003

Hi Jeff, thanks for the quick reply...
> Hi,
>     Are you injecting the transmit audio through the 14-pin DIN jack on the
>  back of the radio?  There should be plenty of audio for that jack.

     No and Yes, the 746 has a 8-pin and 9-pin DIN on the back.
Both must be used to make all the connections the NHRC-10 needs.

Audio into the 746 is PIN-4 of ACC(1) 8-PIN DIN. The modulator input.
It is 10K Ohms and needs 100mV rms.

>     It is possible to make some component changes on the controller board
>  increase the gain, but I'm not sure that is the solution.
>
>     Would you please measure the peak to peak audio level on the
transmitter
>  audio input of the IC-746 and let us know what you have.

   I need to drag the scope home sometime this week and look at what I've
   got going. I will let you know.

   On another subject.....
                                    Any CIV control available for turning
on/off the NOISE REDUCTION  or NOISE BLANKER or  PRE-AMP OR operating
 the built in TUNER  or changing filters in the 746?

I know I can't have it all but thought I would ask, hi hi.

Actually been having a lot of fun, made my first contact on 40 meters
last night. The audio report was "Very Nice Audio but a little lite."
 With the local mic on the 746 I can see 80 Watt voice peaks, with
the NHRC-10 only about 10.

The RB/Link transmit audio buss is wide open. On the other hand I needed
to pad the Repeater Transmitter audio input with a 10K in series to match
the audio. (10K at the repeater TX audio in) The NHRC-10 repeater transmit
level control is almost dead center.

I'm finding that the 10 is very easy to use as a RB controller, particularly
in the tune mode.

One feature that I'm used to and will need to add is adding an extra PL
decoder as the final enabling item in the remote transmit path while using
HF.
When you are in RB transmit mode you are at risk of someone coming
on the repeater not knowing the remote TX is ON and saying HI to me and
going out over HF. How it has been done here and on other remotes in
the Cleveland area is using 2 PL decks with different tones. One tone
is the normal PL for the repeater, the other also lets you in the repeater
and after the remote TX is enabled affords the final step in pitting the
remote TX. This keeps the OOPS factor down. Only persons authorized
to use the HF link have the proper tone.  This also permits a quick
local conversation using PL one then back to the remote TX on PL two.

Thanks for your help.

Jim - W8DRZ