[Coco] Sodering Iron

Mathew Boytim maboytim at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 23 21:07:48 EST 2023

 I agree totally regarding the flux.  I'm sure that Weller iron is fine.  I've had two Weller's over the past 40 years - my current iron is similar.  I'm sure the Hakko that's been suggested is also a good choice.  The only iron I've used that seems significantly better and I can't explain why is a Metcal but wow can't justify the price.  Just avoid the Chinese iron that's sold under a bunch of brands - they're okay as a second iron for removing surface mount R's and C's where you have to heat both ends.
Technique including the use of flux is just as important especially for surface mount work.  I just use the Radio Shack rosin flux
RadioShack Rosin Soldering Flux Paste, Non-Spill - Made in USA - 2 oz. Jar

|  |  |

|  |
RadioShack Rosin Soldering Flux Paste, Non-Spill - Made in USA - 2 oz. Jar

This electronic-quality rosin soldering flux is mixed with petroleum jelly and ideal for electrical and electron...

Flux is your friend.  I clean it off with alcohol from the dollar store.
A decent magnifier is important too - mine is just a magnifying glass with a circular fluorescent light from Hobby Lobby I got years ago and it's good enough.  It's good enough for anything that can be hand soldered.  Similar to this but mine is not HF
Fluorescent Magnifying Lamp

|  |  |

|  |
Fluorescent Magnifying Lamp

Amazing deals on this Fluorescent Magnifying Lamp at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Use rosin core solder leaded 60/40 or 63/37.
You want some quality solder wick also.  Avoid the cheap stuff.
For surface munt IC's I recommend the drag technique.  Lightly coat the pads wit flux.  Get it aligned and opposite corners tacked.  It's important to get the alignment perfect.  Then lightly coat the pins with flux and drag a small ball of solder along the pins.  Clean any shorted pins with solder wick or by drawing the solder away from the IC rather than dragging along the IC.
https://www.google.com/search?q=surface+mount+solder+drag+technique&rlz=1C1SJWC_enUS1070US1070&oq=surface+mount+solder+drag+technique&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigAdIBCjE1NjI3ajBqMTWoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:835a3994,vid:wUyetZ5RtPs,st:0

Matt