[Coco] Sodering Iron

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Thu Nov 23 14:29:35 EST 2023

On 11/23/2023 1:06 PM, coco--- via Coco wrote:
> All
>
> Hi I have not had good success at Soldering, I think that to start
> with I need
> a better Iron. Any sugestions Buget Max $175.
>
> Was thinking about this one:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077JDGY1J/ref=twister_B0BZQPMKF3?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
>

> Charlie

This is a great iron (I'm sure there will be folks on who diss Weller,
but they are a nice consistent manufacturer who has been in this
business for a long time.

HOWEVER,

I have found that handle weight contributes a lot to soldering
capability, at least for those new to the craft.  For that reason, you
may want to look at that when choosing a unit.  Professionals tend to
favor Hakko over Weller nowadays and 888 is a nice entry iron:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ANZRT4M/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAhF7

same price, and the holder for the brass sponge is nice (wet sponge is
the old school way to clean the tip, but brass is much easier, faster,
and takes less prep).

I am a bit biased, as I have an older Weller WESD51 (the 1010 is a
descendant), which you will see if you are at my booth at shows.  Tough,
easier to pack, always works, digital readout, no complaints.

But, since I do a *LOT* of soldering at times, and handleweight is a big
deal for me (fatigue), I use a Metcal MX500, which has the heater in the
base, so the handle is super slim.  It's a $500 iron, though, so I don't
recommend it for limited use (I think Hakko makes a similar unit, but I
think it's also $500 or so).

Just don't use a Radio Shack iron (I know, the heresy!) I hada few of
them, both the entry level unit and the upgraded one with the screw in
heaters, and you can start to doubt you'll ever solder well when using
one of those.  I'm glad RS carried them, since many of us would never
have taken up kit building otherwise, but those irons are frustrating
once you get going.

Though, to be fair, I still keep mine.  If I had to pack a small iron in
a hurry, I'd use it (but only in a pinch)

Get the brass sponge, though, whatever you buy.  Once I got my Metcal
with the brass sponge, I have never wetted a soldering sponge again.

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com