[Coco] CoCo 1/2 arrow keys versus CoCo 3 arrow keys

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Wed Jan 11 21:32:45 EST 2023

> On Jan 11, 2023, at 5:36 PM, RETRO Innovations via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> Can someone clarify why having all the cursor keys in one place made games harder to play?  Most PC games use the "inverted T", many early home computer games used WASD and such.  I am honestly confused how putting one axis on one side of the KB and the other axis on the opposite side (forcing the player to use both hands, and killing the enjoyment for someone with a handicap in one hand due to illness or stroke) is of benefit other than muscle memory for those who started with the CoCo1/2.

Indeed. Atari with a joystick and button required much less dexterity to play the games, meanwhile later game pads have arrows, analog controls trigger buttons, thumb buttons, etc. Madness. But, those who grew up with them could never play Pac-Man with a joystick.

If it’s all you are used to, you get good at it.

If you had choices when learning, what you use might be different.
--
Allen Huffman - PO Box 7634 - Urbandale IA 50323 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
http://www.subethasoftware.com - https://www.facebook.com/subethasoftware