[Coco] CoCo 1/2 arrow keys versus CoCo 3 arrow keys

Patrick Ulland rickulland1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 21:24:30 EST 2023

On 1/11/2023 5:36 PM, RETRO Innovations via Coco wrote:
> Can someone clarify why having all the cursor keys in one place made
> games harder to play?  Most PC games use the "inverted T", many early
> home computer games used WASD and such.  I am honestly confused how
> putting one axis on one side of the KB and the other axis on the
> opposite side (forcing the player to use both hands, and killing the
> enjoyment for someone with a handicap in one hand due to illness or
> stroke) is of benefit other than muscle memory for those who started
> with the CoCo1/2.

It's not you, it's us. Issue is some games are balanced for left hand
approach from the side, index and 2nd finger, never reposition. Right
hand from the bottom, same rules. Super fast twitch speed, but a game
written to these controls is just unfair to anyone without them. Our
Keyfix mylar replacement adds a mode switch to dupe those arrows - CoCo3
works better on random old games. It's been popular. So it's not just me.

-ricku