[Coco] Fantasy Football = CoCo Five.

coco at jechar.ca coco at jechar.ca
Sun Sep 11 18:46:47 EDT 2022

On 2022-09-10 22:24, Francis Swygert via Coco wrote:
> You have a great outline, and it all sounds good! A few thoughts:
> 1) Something like the CoCoSDC built in. Yes, you can use one of the
> cartridge slots for one, but without it the only "provided" external
> storage is via a DriveWire server. Not a bad way to go, but requires a
> complete system. If implemented on a SBC like a RaspberryPI or Stick
> PC a DW server wouldn't take much room, on an older mini PC it
> wouldn't cost much, but it's still additional equipment.
>
> 2) PS/2 or USB keyboard support without an additional interface. I
> know having a CoCo style keyboard makes it feel more like a CoCo, but
> it's an upgraded CoCo anyway -- an upgraded keyboard that's cheap and
> easy would be nice.
> 3) Having it in a CoCo-like case (and using other than a readily
> available keyboard) just adds an unnecessary expense. Every upgraded
> system that started with a single keyboard/system unit migrated to a
> separate system case and keyboard. If these were being made by a large
> manufacturer en-mass there might be some cost savings in doing so, but
> in small quantities (not thousands!) it just adds costs with no
> benefit except for nostalgia.
> Other than that I like everything you've outlined. The only big hurdle
> is writing the control software to make it happen. The hardware
> shouldn't be too difficult, though it would require a not
> inconsiderable amount of time and money to fully develop. As noted,
> some things, like the 6809 FPGA cores, have already been developed.
> There is work in progress on a GIME replacement, but you don't really
> need that since the GIME is already in the CoCo3 FPGA cores.
>
> I never have seen any real reason to have CoCo 1/2 compatibility.
> There will be some due to the need to make it CoCo3 compatible, but
> there are a few functions that were dropped with the CoCo3 and some
> that were retained but really aren't needed. That little bit of ROM
> space might come in handy for advanced functionality. But maybe not --
> the way you have it outlined with a control core operating a separate
> CPU in CoCo compatible mode may make it trivial to include CoCo1/2
> compatibility.

Nostalgia I agree is the main reason for these three points you bring up
some further comments on each below.

           1. Only heaving the small uDisk and settings as battery backed
memory.
              ( But remember in 1994 when my first version of this idea
came about that a
                larger built in drive was not feasible, and that this is
an update of that. )
              ( That said not at all adverse to a built in  SBC available
to one of the virtual
                CPU's and the uDisk area of memory running some sort of
sharing "disks" for the other
                instances. In the case of the CoCo4++ or CoCo5.)
           2. AND using a CoCo style keyboard. But note
              The system described does have a Bluetooth option so the
CoCO Mech Keboard is only
              optional not required also an extension of the software
described could allow for
              a USB keyboard but in that case all system updating would
have to  be done remotely
              from thr PC end. As for PS/2 keyboards any adapters that
work with a CoCo 3 would work
              with this however Macros might  be redundant.
           3. Coco Case Form Factor - Remember one option would be
motherboard only and that the
              CoCo type keyboard is not to be mandatory, replaceable by a
Wireless Bluetooth.
              So ideally the user can choose between an old coco 3 case
or some type of PC case
              sans CoCo Keyboard if they are OK with a less Nostalgic
version.

              The amount of room you need is at most 90mm x 266mm x 290mm
given a ridgid motherboard
              and the Molex plug being on a short extension the bigger
issue is having the correct
              cutouts for the ports.

Thanks for your comments.

Charlie

PS: there is a tiny Amiga500 out and all sorts of utube videos where
someone is trying to repack it
in a full size case.