[Coco] Fantasy Football = CoCo Five.

Francis Swygert farna at att.net
Sat Sep 10 22:24:46 EDT 2022

You have a great outline, and it all sounds good! A few thoughts:
1) Something like the CoCoSDC built in. Yes, you can use one of the cartridge slots for one, but without it the only "provided" external storage is via a DriveWire server. Not a bad way to go, but requires a complete system. If implemented on a SBC like a RaspberryPI or Stick PC a DW server wouldn't take much room, on an older mini PC it wouldn't cost much, but it's still additional equipment.

2) PS/2 or USB keyboard support without an additional interface. I know having a CoCo style keyboard makes it feel more like a CoCo, but it's an upgraded CoCo anyway -- an upgraded keyboard that's cheap and easy would be nice.
3) Having it in a CoCo-like case (and using other than a readily available keyboard) just adds an unnecessary expense. Every upgraded system that started with a single keyboard/system unit migrated to a separate system case and keyboard. If these were being made by a large manufacturer en-mass there might be some cost savings in doing so, but in small quantities (not thousands!) it just adds costs with no benefit except for nostalgia.
Other than that I like everything you've outlined. The only big hurdle is writing the control software to make it happen. The hardware shouldn't be too difficult, though it would require a not inconsiderable amount of time and money to fully develop. As noted, some things, like the 6809 FPGA cores, have already been developed. There is work in progress on a GIME replacement, but you don't really need that since the GIME is already in the CoCo3 FPGA cores.

I never have seen any real reason to have CoCo 1/2 compatibility. There will be some due to the need to make it CoCo3 compatible, but there are a few functions that were dropped with the CoCo3 and some that were retained but really aren't needed. That little bit of ROM space might come in handy for advanced functionality. But maybe not -- the way you have it outlined with a control core operating a separate CPU in CoCo compatible mode may make it trivial to include CoCo1/2 compatibility.