[Coco] Remembering your CoCo Repacks

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Mon Oct 31 11:49:08 EDT 2022

On 10/31/22 11:19, Allen Huffman via Coco wrote:

> I had no idea SCSI survived. I have noticed some of my USB devices identify as SCSIsomething in my Mac, so the protocol seems to be alive and well. Interesting. I wonder how much faster using a physical SCSI would be versus the modern SD card interfaces and such. Can we even use the speed? An SD card certainly has more storage than we could ever use.

SCSI has gone through several iterations.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI>  I have not followed comparability
between the generations however.  I did once connect a SCSI 1 drive to
my Disto hard drive interface.  It was limited to the accessing the
first 256 bytes of the 512 byte granules.  I never did find a way to see
the other half of those granules.

I generally ran the system with an Adaptec SCSI-2-MFM card with 2 big
MFM drives.  It is still set up, but has been in storage 18 years now.

Bruce W.