[Coco] Regarding 6800 peripheral ICs

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Wed Mar 9 01:14:26 EST 2022

 From another mailing list:

I assume most people here is familiar with enhanced mode logic that
predates NMOS depletion mode logic. Enhanced mode logic uses enhanced
mode transistors only, including for the pullups. In contrast to
depletion mode pullups, enhanced mode pullups produce a voltage drop at
the high state. To compensate for this, enhanced mode logic normally
used multiple power supplies and two separate power rails for the
pullups, one for the gate and the other for the drain. This was one of
the main drawbacks of enhanced mode logic.

Some of the latest enhanced mode chips, notably the Motorola 6800, had a
single power supply. The 6800 has an internal voltage booster.
Internally still has two separate power rails for the pullups. I assumed
the main 6800 peripherals, since they also have a single power supply,
that they use the same technology. But I recently found that I was
wrong. At least ACIA (MC6850) and the older versions of PIA (MC6820)
don't have an internal voltage booster. They are still enhanced mode
logic but with a single power rail for the pullups! I was initially
quite surprised because I assumed this was, at best, very inefficient,
but obviously it works fine.

So, these chips are enhanced mode logic, bit with a single power rail
for the pullups, with both the gate and drain of the pullups tied to
Vcc.  The only obvious limitation of this technology seems to be
regarding pass transistors. I cannot find a single pass transistor in
ACIA layout. This makes sense when you consider that pass transistors
produce another voltage threshold drop. This would result in two voltage
drops in a row, and then probably the output of the pass transistor at
the high level would be too low. Not being able to use pass transistors
is a severe limitation. Pass transistors are used extensively in
sequential logic, especially in dynamic cells that is based on the
capacitance at the input to the pass transistor. There are no dynamic
cells in ACIA as far as I can see, and there is no non-overlapping clock
generator as it is typically in most NMOS clocked devices. Synchronous
logic is implemented with static flip flops instead, and again, without
any pass transistor. Note that NMOS, and also CMOS, typically do use
pass transistors also for static logic.

I am curious if somebody else find other chips with enhanced mode logic
and a single pullup power rail. I would also be interested if somebody
heard about some paper, documentation, or patent in the subject. ACIA is
actually patented, but this feature is not described in the patent.

Thanks

jorge

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com