[Coco] The CoCo Crew Podcast -- Episode 81 is available!

Glenside President (Jim Brain) president at glensideccc.com
Tue Mar 1 19:21:54 EST 2022

You and your crew have every right to possess and express your opinions,
regardless of your financial contribution to the club. Likewise, the
club has every right to hold your media presence responsible and
accountable for the material they present, opinion or not.

It is disappointing that simply noting data availability is seen as
implying approval requirements. At no time was there even a hint of
requirements to confer or seek approval.  I stated that data was and is
available to permit a thoughtful discussion of opinions concerning
finances, rationale for changes, etc.  I will admit accessing that data
might require reaching out via email or DM, but a simple request for
clarity or informational detail hardly conveys any expectations on an
opinion. Some of the clarity could be gleaned by just reviewing the
publicly available meeting recordings where the topics were discussed.

I stand by my statement concerning incorrect information. While the
piece was not lengthy, inaccurate and untrue information was presented
in a biased way. Replacing with correct and factual information just
takes time away from the hobby and adds no value to the community.

I actually don't mind constructive criticism, as many people shared
concerns when I took on this role in hopes of seeing improvements as
time progressed. I also don't take the criticism (constructive or
otherwise) personally. Leadership resources in a club or group agree to
advocate for the group and defend the group against inaccurate or
misleading material. Personally, my day job has sufficiently thickened
my skin.  I notice the little digs directed at me in the podcast at
times, and I simply chuckle and take the high road of ignoring them.

Though episode #38's host discussion makes very clear the group's
position on tone and content of the podcast, I believe there were better
ways to share your concerns in ways that retained your commentary
flexibility but would not feel dismissive or belittling to volunteers
like Grant Leighty or Eric Canales or the members of the club in general.

As to your view that feedback is a gift, I would counter that
constructive feedback is truly a gift. I'm not sure how much of the host
discussion was designed as feedback nor how much of that could be
construed as constructive.

I'm sure the moderator of the mailing list and other list members tire
easily of these arguments, so I apologize and will limit my response.
While I remain ever hopeful that the podcast would treat negative
opinions with more care, allowing that even poor choices in the hobby
are often made with the best of intentions by everyday people trying to
do the right thing; I am realistic in all things. It would be grand if
future host discussions included folks firmly entrenched in the opposite
position, allowing the topic a chance to be fully explored from both
sides. At the very least, I'd wish future host discussions not focus on
the perceived negative aspects of community actions, ending with the
"Not trying to make anyone angry" byline as a "get out of jail free"
card. Still, given how difficult it is to provide substantive and
meaningful feedback that will be shared with your audience, there's
little accountability leverage.

As we are at all times for anyone, should the podcast principals wish to
discuss their concerns and gain clarity on the topics discussed, I and
other GCCC officers are happy to engage.

Jim Brain

--
Jim Brain, 2021-22 President
Glenside Color Computer Club (GCCC)