[Coco] 2023 CoCoFEST! Venue Considerations

RETRO Innovations go4retro at go4retro.com
Fri Jul 29 11:42:03 EDT 2022

On 7/29/2022 9:51 AM, Allen Huffman via Coco wrote:
> Thank you for that detailed writeup, Jim. I think you had me at this:
>
>> * Portillo’s is 1.1mile away :-)
> Now that I’ve spent so much time in Glendale Heights for work trips, I am fully aware of what Portillo’s is and regret not discovering it in earlier visits to the area.
>
> Money is always tight — with some of us staying way off site at a Motel 6 due to not wanting to spend $$$ on an on-site room — and others considering an extra $50-$100 like “vacation spending.”
>
> If guarantees come in to play, I expect we can step up and pledge to support the club — kinda like an Indiegogo or Kickstarter campaign ;-)
>
> I am now even more sad I missed the recent events, since I won’t get to see the location in-use like that.
>
> 		— Allen

I appreciate the support. That said, though I don't want to overly
influence the discussion, I am wary of "juicing" the room rates (that's
the technical term, evidently) to fund the venue. I know many do just as
you, selecting an alternate hotel to save on costs. I do the same at
times, as I often spend so little time in the room I just need Motel
6-level amenities (if that).

I'll be honest, I'm disappointed in how things have progressed with the
Holiday Inn Elk Grove. While I will concede the rooms were never as nice
as the Fairfield in Lombard, they were clean and my daughter and I had
no issues in the 5 years we attended computer shows there (VCF Midwest
from 2015-2018, and the 2021 CoCoFEST!) The venue likewise looks a bit
more "lived in", but I felt the aesthetic worked with a show like ours.
Above all, I felt like we worked well with the previous management on
issues and pricing. My personal opinion is that, even with the
significant renovations they are planning, and the focus on wedding
rentals I am told they now favor, the venue will not look attractive
enough to book receptions (for the price they quoted us, a couple could
rent the much larger - and more ritzy - Marriott or Clarion options).
Then, since they've lost all the bread and butter customers, they'll
reach out late this year with more reasonable pricing, long after we've
made the decision to pursue another option. I don't want to put words in
Grant's mouth, but other event coordinators found our Elk Grove quote
laughable as wholly unrealistic (renovations or not).

On a more positive note, Tony, Grant, and I ate lunch at the Portillo's
in question, and it was nice. It's one of the newer configs, looking
more like a Western saloon than a cafe, but the food (most importantly,
the chocolate cake) was the same.

(That cake is no doubt just a commercial version of some Pillsbury box
cake and some cheap frosting, so they make a mint on it, but I always
grab a slice...)

Jim

www.go4retro.com
store.go4retro.com