[Coco] Color Computer RSA

Don Barber don at dgb3.net
Sun Jul 24 11:30:49 EDT 2022

Hi folks, wanted to share my latest project that I've just published.

I've written an RSA implementation for the Color Computer. It will
handle up to 2048-bit keys. Its written in assembly, and I've made all
the code I developed open source and placed it on github here:

https://github.com/barberd/cocorsa

A disk image is also available on that site.

I needed to implement several multi-precision-byte algorithms, including:
Modular Exponentiation
Prime testing using Miller-Rabin
GCD with Euler's method
Multiplication with Karatsuba

I also implemented some filesytem/file-handling routines, and a screen
output routine that will wrap text nicely. Hopefully by making all these
open source, I can also help future CoCo programmers.

I taught myself basic on my coco3 when I was 9 and always told myself
that I'd learn to program it with 'machine language' one day. I also
dusted off a lot of those mathematical algorithm skills from my computer
science undergrad days to create this. So while an RSA implementation
for the CoCo may not be that useful on a day-to-day basis, I'm still
quite proud of this effort. Hopefully others can appreciate.

Thanks to all the list members who have helped me along the way; one may
recall me pointing out the bug in Leventhal's 6809 subroutines books, my
(dumb) question about stack corruption, my question about disk routines,
or my question about determining coco1/2 versus 3.

Thanks again,

Don