[Coco] How do I get the mouse working in VCC/OVCC?

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Sep 25 20:22:27 EDT 2020

You set your mouse variables in the "Config/Joysticks" menu, BUT the Coco does not display (or read for that matter) the mouse/joystick until told to. In Basic, you read the mouse/joystick by using the basic joystick commands. In OS-9, you must "turn the mouse on" through a setstat call (or a program that does this for you) and read the mouse through getstat calls. You will not see a "mouse cursor" unless you are on a graphics screen and then only if you turn it on (separate from turning the mouse on). The mouse can then be read with or without the cursor on. In fact, you can turn on and read the mouse on a hardware text screen, but there's no visible cursor for those screen types.
All mouse info for RSDOS is in the Getting Started With Extended Basic and the OS-9 info is in the OS-9 Technical Manual.