[Coco] Lots of EPROM programmers, but which one=

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri May 15 23:02:14 EDT 2020

On 5/15/2020 7:10 PM, Salvador Garcia via Coco wrote:
>   Thanks David,
>
> Looks like the 2708 and 16 will go unused. :-)

Got me worried a bit, as I have a TL866 II with adapters on order.

The plan was to use it on some older e-proms that I had.

So just checked, All of the e-proms that I have that will fit a COCO are
newer ones that have a lower programming voltage.

It really is not that hard to build an e-prom burner for the older
systems and write a program to drive it.  I have actually done it once
for 2708 era chips.

I seem to remember that the 2708 has a documented power up sequence.  If
you do not follow it, it can blow the chips out.

And it looks like new e-proms and some "refurbished" ones are readily
available at pretty reasonable prices, in case all the ones I have turn
out to be duds.  Even found two 2817 chips to play with :-) .

Regards,
-John