[Coco] Using a coco modem with VOIP

Jim McClanahan jim30109 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 14:15:46 EST 2019

In the early days of VoIP, some of the better gateways actually had a modem
internal to them to convert things into a data stream at the house and then
"reconvert" it to an audio stream at the VoIP headend. (Things like the old
Arris VoIP gateway AT&T used in the late 1990s did this.) I suspect
anything like that was shaved out of products for cost reduction long ago
by this point.

Unfortunately I doubt you'll have much luck these days. Fidelity and
latency are both challenges for modem connections.

Thanks,
Jim