[Coco] Using a coco modem with VOIP

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Mon Nov 11 15:08:21 EST 2019

There are various codecs that certain devices support for VoIP and some are more lossy than others. It’s been a few years since I messed around with this stuff on my asterisk server but I think G.711 is a fairly high quality codec that requires around 85 kbps bandwidth. In order to make it work, though, both ends of the VoIP connection would have to support it. I’m guessing that SIP probably negotiates to find out the best protocol supported by both ends of the link before establishing a connection.

Dave