[Coco] Using a coco modem with VOIP

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Mon Nov 11 13:44:25 EST 2019

On 2019-11-11 11:09 a.m., rietveld rietveld wrote:
> Has anyone had any success using a dial up modem with a VOIP. I have not had any luck doing this using my magic jack. I would love to be able to save the long distance charges

I would be surprised if it works on VOIP connections at all. This is
simply due to the lossy compression used to squeeze voice communications
down minimal bandwidth. This pretty much destroys the fidelity of the
modulation used by the modems. Also consider that if the effective
bandwidth of a VOIP connection is 8kbps, then you can't get more than
8kbps data speed even with perfect data support over the connection, and
once you add in the audio modulation, you lose a fair chunk of that.

(Arguably, VOIP connections destroy voice fidelity, too. I absolutely
despise talking to people who are using VOIP connections most of the
time due to the ridiculous amount of distortion that is often present.)

Now, an uncompressed or losslessly compressed VOIP connection would
probably work. Or one that detected the modem handshake and adapted the
compression algorithm to match.