[Coco] NitrOS-9 Year 2000+ changes

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Wed Mar 13 10:27:55 EDT 2019

On 2019-03-13 2:14 a.m., Gene Heskett wrote:
> But there is another gotcha, the cause of which I've
> forgotten now but 2038 is a date stuck in my ancient memory now. To
> properly handle that, and keep the image in memory too, will require
> another byte in the memory image IIRC.

The "year 2038 problem" only affects systems that count time in seconds
since 1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC, and then, only those that use a 32 bit
signed counter. Nitros9 is not one of them unless things have changed
since I last looked.

Other systems have other rollover points. Some of those have passed and
some are looming close. I seem to recall 2020 being relevant to some
system or other, for instance.

Of course, just like with y2k, the rollover is not going to cause most
things to explode or go away or whatever for the simple reason that most
things don't actually care what the time actually is, even if they track
it. Most things will happily continue on without issue even if they
think it's 1901.