[Coco] SDC and DriveWire 4 help...

James Jones jejones3141 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 11:05:24 EST 2018

A while back I got the DriveWire 4 source (I seriously need to start taking
notes on provenance of such things...) and found, if memory serves, that it
wanted Java 7--it used some class that Java 8 didn't have. The SourceForge
repository for it looks like it did get updated late August of this year,
but I recall when I looked at it, the source code had been around for quite
a while--the YouTube video on the "new" NineServer features dates from
2012. It also uses some now-obsolescent date (or date/time) related class
because it keeps the year as year - 1900, which is convenient for how OS-9
stores time. DriveWire could use rewriting to take advantage of streams and
other Java 8 and later features.

https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_7.xml has info on how to get Java
7.

Michael Furman is working on a DriveWire server in Python; see
https://github.com/n6il/pyDriveWire for more info.