[Coco] Terasic DE-1

James Ross jrosslist at outlook.com
Wed Nov 14 17:46:28 EST 2018

Dave Philipsen wrote:
> Does the DE10 Nano have flash memory to hold the contents of the CoCo
> ROMs?  Does it have an audio codec, DRAM, SRAM, etc?

W/o any add on cards the sound (and video) would have to go through the HDMI interface (however that is accomplished.  quote: "The ADV7513 can accommodate 2 to 8 channels of I2S audio at up to a 192 KHz sampling rate.")

The SRAM would have to be implemented using the FPGA logic cells.  (according to Roger there is plenty there for the CoCo3 implementation + 512k RAM). The ROM too,  whether or not that would eat into the 512k not sure -- but I don't think so.

The Micro SD card socket is on the ARM side so you would have to communicate w/ the ARM for cartridge ROMS and DSKs.

OR you could use the MiSTer add on board(s) that provide VGA/SDRAM/SOUND/SDCARD readily accessible.  Or just make it compatible w/ the MiSTer architecture which is all open source.

> by the time you get through trying to
> make CoCo3FPGA work on that device ...
> And you'd probably be just as well off starting from scratch...

You have a good point ... and that is probably the correct approach.

But would not even be a good starting point? Perhaps even if you had to change it up quite a bit ... how well the CoCo3FPGA CoCo3's implementation componentized?  Wouldn't that make it more re-usable?

James