[Coco] Terasic DE-1

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 14 18:04:35 EST 2018

On 15/11/2018 9:04 AM, Dave Philipsen wrote:

> Does the DE10 Nano have flash memory to hold the contents of the CoCo
> ROMs?  Does it have an audio codec, DRAM, SRAM, etc?  I'm not saying
> it's completely impossible but by the time you get through trying to
> make CoCo3FPGA work on that device it may not really be considered
> CoCo3FPGA anymore. And you'd probably be just as well off starting from
> scratch...

Not at all. I've ported projects across different platforms with/without
external memory and there's often no need to modify the project itself.

What I've done is create a "target wrapper" around the project that, on
relevant/suitable target hardware, emulates flash/SRAM within the fabric
of the FPGA. Because it's external to the project, there's no need to
modify it as it still "sees" external memory devices.

> I have implemented CoCo3FPGA on a non-Terasic board that had quite a few
> similarities to the DE-1 and even that implementation falls short of
> having all of the features of a real CoCo3FPGA.

Of course every target has its own strengths and weaknesses and to be
fair, Coco3FPGA has been designed primarily around the DE1 (plus
Zippster's add-on board) so naturally it's going to have the most
features out-of-the-box.

By that same token, other platforms may have superior hardware features
that aren't readily utilised by the Coco3FPGA project. eg. I have
hardware with an FPGA large enough to fit a dynamic video scaler and
HDMI output, USB host and device ports, GB of DDR3 SDRAM, but no SD/CF
card...

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall