[Coco] Some may call this heresy

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue May 29 15:34:56 EDT 2018

On Tuesday 29 May 2018 11:06:16 Dave Philipsen wrote:

> > On May 29, 2018, at 6:20 AM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net>
> > wrote:
> >

> > There is enough memory for a 25 line display, and a much larger,
> > more readable display can be had if the monitors horizontal hold can
> > be coaxed into accepting a signal with an hscan rate of around 18
> > kilohertz. All in the chips initialization string in the driver.
>
> That would pretty much put the oscillation from the flyback
> transformer outside of the human hearing range anyway!  I distinctly
> remember being able to hear that oscillation (15.75 kHz) on pretty
> much any tv or monitor when I was younger.  However, I’ve checked my
> hearing now and the highest I can hear is just shy of 13 kHz!
>
> Dave

That too, but by then my hearing was going downhill, and the last time it
was checked, I could hear the amplifiers white noise, but not the tone
at 4 khz. Thats whats called a Carhart notch, and its caused by exposure
to very loud sounds.  Sounds of the sort you get sitting at a card
table, sooting at a target 85 yds away, with a 30-06 Ackley Improved
gun, trees in front of the card table about 10 feet reflecting the
muzzle blast back at you. I did that long enough to burn out 3 barrels
before I bought my first set of earmuffs.

But that Carhart notch 100 db deep at 4 khz was expected, but what isn't
is the ear pressure and headaches I get when I walk into a business that
has the ultrasonic motion alarms live during business hours. I have got
to get out, its still painfull even if I can't "hear it".

The rest of my hearing in the "telephone range" is only 15 db below
normal, so I get along fairly well w/o any hearing aids. I do have to
have the wife repeat about 1/2 the time, but she's so far into COPD that
normal folks can't always hear her from 6 feet away,. No air to make
noise with. This warm, humid summer weather is hurting her, a lot.
Wearing an oxygen hose 24/7 these days. Not much I can do except make
sure the oxy is flowing.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)