[Coco] Some may call this heresy

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Tue May 29 15:52:33 EDT 2018

On 5/29/2018 2:34 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> That would pretty much put the oscillation from the flyback
>> transformer outside of the human hearing range anyway!  I distinctly
>> remember being able to hear that oscillation (15.75 kHz) on pretty
>> much any tv or monitor when I was younger.  However, I’ve checked my
>> hearing now and the highest I can hear is just shy of 13 kHz!
>>
>> Dave
> That too, but by then my hearing was going downhill, and the last time it
> was checked, I could hear the amplifiers white noise, but not the tone
> at 4 khz. Thats whats called a Carhart notch, and its caused by exposure
> to very loud sounds.  Sounds of the sort you get sitting at a card
> table, sooting at a target 85 yds away, with a 30-06 Ackley Improved
> gun, trees in front of the card table about 10 feet reflecting the
> muzzle blast back at you. I did that long enough to burn out 3 barrels
> before I bought my first set of earmuffs.

I think I might have a slight notch (nowhere near 100 dB) around 3 kHz,
possibly from listening to loud music when I was a teenager.  I also was
doing a little research on a somewhat controversial device (esp. in
Europe) called The Mosquito which emits a loud 17.4 kHz tone which
deters only teenagers from loitering in certain public areas.  The rest
of us older folk are oblivious to it because we can't hear it.

Sorry I'm getting a little off topic here.

But getting back to the WordPak; it might be a cool thing to create a
WordPak compatible cartridge that outputs 80-column to a VGA monitor.

Dave