[Coco] DECB development under OS9

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat May 12 13:07:52 EDT 2018

As stated, the cstart would have to be modified (I have done this) as well as the libraries, but the real problem is in the assembly process used once the c code has been compiled into assembler code.
After the compiler (c.pass1 & c.pass2 or c.comp) compiles the sources into asm sources, the resulting code is assembled (by c.asm or rma) into "object" files. These object files have a very complex header. The header contains references to all variables, procedures and library calls used so the linker (c.link or r.link) can check between multiple sources to locate and build the variable tables, connect procedure calls between sources, and library calls. The linker does all the checking for missing variables and procedures, moves all variables to direct page and global areas as needed, then merges all modules into one (or more) files and creates the OS9 header.
Another thing is that C uses the stack for "local" variables declared only within the procedure. This method is fast, but sometimes clunky when using large locals like large string buffers and the like. It also makes for confusing asm code.

My guess would be to extract the asm source at the compiler stage, manually massaging those sources into something you could use. There is a couple of useful cmd line parameters in the C compiler front-ends (cc1, cc2 etc) that can help... one stops the process after the compiler, leaving the compiled asm source. Another will leave the original C source as comments to each operation in the asm source (needed to know what variables are what).
It would not be an easy task, but I guess it could be done.

Bill Pierce

Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia

E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com